Sunday, January 18, 2009

Working Joe

I spent the first few weeks of January searching for a job. It was an eye-opening experience. It made me realize that at least half of the jobs I've had in my life were handed to me on silver platters, and that I've never not gotten a job I applied for.

It shocked me that I had to hand out over 20 resumes before I heard from anyone. Of course, then I heard from 5 of them. Which is apparently good odds, but still a little blow to my ego. Fortunately one of those jobs was the one on the top of my list, and that's the one I got. Yeay! Especially since I was beginning to think I was unemployable.

So now I spend my days shelving books, finding books for people, selling books to other people, ordering books for some other people, and then shelving some more books. Surrounded by books all day is very relaxing to me. The only down side so far is how dry my hands are getting from handling paper all day. I'd forgotten about that until my skin started to turn white. Ouch. But hand lotion was invented for book-sellers and now I use it excessively.

I'm happy.

It's a relief.

Now I just have to figure out what I want to do with the rest of my life and I'm all set.

No comments: