Thursday, December 10, 2009

Inspiration + No Excuses = Time For Hard Work

I just learned that "Water for Elephants", by Sara Gruen (which is quite a popular book) was a NaNoWriMo novel.

Also, that one of the Giller Prize nominees was a first novel, by a 26 year old woman (her mother came into the bookstore, very neat experience for me).

All of this to say, that if I want to be a writer, I have no excuse not to be one. I suddenly realized that it is a goal that is completely within my grasp. I could be a published, successful author by the time I'm 28 if I put the work in.

(28 is not a random number, it's actually been my mental goal for a while.)

(Coincidentally, the year I turn 28 is the year my mother will turn 50, and that is her magic number for being a published author too. I picked the number 28 before I realized this. Insert Twilight Zone music here.)

Now my goal is online. People can see it. People will know if I succeed or fail.

I'd better get to work.

4 comments:

Erin said...

Have you read The War of Art yet? If not, you really must. It can be quite a quick read (though I'm on my 3rd time through). Very, very helpful!!!!!

Pru said...

I LOVE The Art of War. I read it when I was trying to understand medieval military tactics - not such a great book for that (I should have been reading up on William the Conqueror or the like), but a great read. Have you read Machiavelli's The Prince? Also an interesting read.

Erin said...

I only read enough of The Prince to figure out my boss was a student of Machiavelli, and I was pretty much doomed. :)

And the book I was referring to was The War of Art by Steven Pressfield. The subtitle is Break Through the Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles. It will kick your writer a** a hundred different ways. Promise!

Oh and the snowflakes lol... You're welcome :)

Pru said...

Oh. Yes, I see that now...a bit of mental dyslexia. No, I haven't read it, but now it intrigue me enough to locate and read said book!
I did just apply for a writer's workshop for January, we'll see if I get in!