Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Time to Breathe

I am sitting at my parents computer, wondering what to write. I arrived last night after a long day of sorting out last minute details and driving, lots of driving. I managed to get home in one piece, although I forgot pajamas and my toothbrush. I had a dentist appointment today, to get my beautiful, strong teeth cleaned and they gave me a toothbrush, and since I was in town I went shopping and bought pajamas among other things. Life would be simpler in a way if I just bought what I needed whenever I went somewhere. All I would have to bring with me would be money. It would be too expensive for me though, and that would get complicated quickly.

I learned that I am like my dad today. I already knew that we had things in common - our unnaturally long fingers and toes, our lips, our sense of humour - but now I know that we both get flustered in situations where we have to think quickly around strangers. At the dentist, I suddenly had to decide whether or not to pay right then or wait. Instead of taking a few moments to figure out what worked best, I frantically took the lady's suggestion to send the bill to my mother and I left. In retrospect, I think I am a little bit like the man who has a terrible banking experience in a Stephen Leacock monologue. I get so crazed that I just do whatever seems proper at the time, only to kick myself afterwards for being so phenomenally ridiculous. Although the dentist situation actually does work out pretty well for me. My mom might have a bit of a heart attack when she gets her mail in the next week or so.

I bought a really cute sundress today. I realized when I was in Toronto last February that I like sundresses, so am now bringing them into my life. Tomorrow I think I will start to sort through all of my possesions that my parents are storing for me. There is no way that I'll be able to bring them back to my cell of a room at school, but there are a few little things I need. And I have some cloth that I'm going to make into either skirts or dresses while I'm here.

This week is supposed to be a sabatical. In theory, I'm only doing what I want to do. That isn't the reality. I'm going to visit my grandparents. I always feel a little bit weird going over to their place by myself. In advance, I don't know what I'll talk about. While I'm there, the time flies by and before I know it I have to leave. Lo and behold, I end up having a great time.

The second person responsible for this blog's existence knows about it now. I told him before I left for my break. It kind of blurted out. So much for being afraid and 'mincing words' about it. I guess that is a good thing, but it does take some getting used to. At least I didn't proceded to send him a panic email like I did when I told my mom - 'don't tell anyone else, I want to tell the boys in my own sweet time, you can tell Dad but no-one else' - it makes me smile now but at the time I was petrified.

I'm a little aprehensive still about having people I know in real life read my thoughts here, but the fear is no longer so strong that it rules my life. This is going to be a week of letting go of the tensions that fear brings - breathing deeply and relaxing my muscles and letting my mind drift where it will. I have earned it.

One side effect is that I really don't have anything else to write at the moment, but I'm sure I'll write again before I leave for a crazy hectic 3.5 weeks of rehearsal. Once it begins, I might not even have the energy to brush my teeth.

Provided I remember to bring my toothbrush back to school with me.

2 comments:

Andrew Simone said...

Whenever I go I trips I always bring four or five books with me (like a security blanket I guess), but always forget my toothbrush.

I wonder what that says about me?

troll said...

boo.