Thursday, January 24, 2013

No Spoilers Here, Please

I have had no deep thoughts today.

I started The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.  I got to Gandalf kicking Wormtongue out of Theoden's hall.  Sorry if that spoiled anything for anyone.  The books were published in the 50's, the movies came out ten years ago; I hope people are familiar with them by now.

When I was in my first year of theatre school, one of my classmates would freak the hell out whenever we started talking about the LoTR movies, because he hadn't seen them and was determined to read the books first.  He went the whole 8 months of school freaking out because he never 'got around' to reading the books, although I had them and offered to let him read them (which is kind of a big deal, I don't lend my books out easily).  Years later, after we'd lost touch, I ran into him again.  He said he no longer freaked out over 'spoilers' for stories that were 50 years old.  He figured he'd had his chance to discover the story, and if he hadn't yet that was just too bad for him.  (For the record, he hadn't yet, and no, I don't know what was wrong with him either.)

But I totally agree with him.  I mean, I'll try to respect stories for people who haven't experienced them yet because I like it when stories are saved for me to experience blindly the first time.  But, as science has shown, spoilers don't actually spoil your experience of something*, and quite frankly, some things I've had my chance to discover and just haven't done it.  So if it gets ruined, well, I should have been more proactive.

Or just put my hands over my ears and yelled, "Lalalalalalalalala I can't hear you" really, really loudly.

* I read about this on Cracked, and do you think I can find the article now to link to?  No.  No, I can not.  So you'll just have to go and read every single Cracked article yourself until you find it.

Or just Google something about science and spoilers and not ruining things, I guess.  Let me know if that works.  I'd like to know.

No comments: